Paperback 538: Signet 1326 (4th ptg, 1956)
Title: Nightmare Alley
Author: William Lindsay Gresham
Cover artist: James Avati
Yours for: $21
- A noir classic. Early editions (Signets, like this one) are pretty rare. New York Review of Books reissued this book a couple years ago.
- “Nightmare Alley, or The Carny’s Ennui”
- “I’m so ashamed that Eddie Munster has to see me in this get-up.”
- Not just “frank”—”Brutally Frank!” This book is so frank, it hurts my eyeballs.
- No lie, I love her outfit. Pants could be a little lower-waisted, but the bra is a total win.
Best things about this back cover:
Ooh, the rarely seen “Double Frank” paperback. Nice. Whoa, triple … though that SF Chronicle quote is really just a callback of the front cover copy.
Under that brilliant stare she began to simper and found it difficult to control her hands.
This explains why she’s looking away from him and anchoring her hands on the edge of the, let’s say, dunk tank.