Paperback 852: Pocket Books 6093 (PBO, 1962)Title: The AstronautAuthor
: Hank SearlsCover artist:
Donation to the collection from The Second Reader Bookshop (Buffalo, NY)Best things about this cover:
Best things about this back cover:
- It's the touching story of a lonely Stormtrooper and his inflatable girlfriend…
- If you're gonna fall to your death, may as well go out ogling bikini-clad blondes.
- This must be just before he captures her and puts her in a bottle and makes her wear pajamas all day long.
- The design here is actually spectacular. It's got that wackadoodle '60s vibe. Nice incorporation of the letter "O" into the spacesuit design. Stars in her eyes are a little cheesy / spot-on, but her little green bikini makes a nice visual impact, and the overall sun-drenchedness of the thing is a nice counterbalance to my mostly Dark cover collection.
- The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat, Literally.
- "You down with M.P.P.?" ("M.S. Ph.D.!")
- Whoa, "hanky-panky at the motel"!? Tell me more. Seriously, if it happens at motels, I need to know.
- Project Head? Really? No one batted an eyelash at that? OK, then, '60s, carry on …
Straight in front of him were the retro-rocket controls, welded immovably in place so that the chimp could not override ground control.
Chimps? It's got chimps? Talk about burying the lede…~RP
P.S. Many thanks to John from The Second Reader Bookshop in Buffalo, NY, who reads my crossword blog and responded to my fund-raising drive there with a donation of books for here. Two more coming later this week.
P.P.S. John also sent me this postcard, which … well, if you all won't appreciate it, I don't know who will:
[Miss Lube Rack]
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter