Paperback 539: Berkley Medallion G402 (1st ptg, 1960)
Title: The Ship With Two Captains
Author: Terence Robertson
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $8
- This cover fairly shouts the “wah WAH” sound effect.
- There was a time when whatever is happening here would’ve been manifestly funny, I’m sure, but those hats and those flags don’t scream “wacky difference” to me so much as “partners in conquering the world.” Cover should’ve been a study in contrasts, but instead it’s Bing Crosby and William Holden waving dainty flags.
- I do like the eye in the periscope, though. I imagine that it is the Devil, who has taken over the submarine and is now going to take Bing and Bill on a hellish journey.
Best things about this back cover:
- I’m sorry. This cover (that is, the first sentence) made me fall asleep and am now too groggy to say anything, witty or otherwise.
- “Army Times” giving a thumbs-up to this book is like “Dog Fancy” giving a thumbs-up to “Benji.”
The shells were falling around her now, some salvos just over, the next short and the rest straddling her.
This is way more pornographic than I imagined.