Title: The Dutch Shoe Mystery
Author: Ellery Queen
Cover artist: Jerry Allison
Estimated value: $10-15
- This cover says a lot of things, but one of the things it does *not* say is "Dutch Shoe."
- "But she could be number! NUMBER!"
- Pretty sure that's not a regulation police hold—at least not with gun drawn. Does look cool, though.
- Ooh, signed by quote-unquote Ellery Queen. How elegant.
- "The patient was rich Abigail Doorn, whose money ran the hospital." Yeah, see, you would never introduce anyone "rich so-and-so," and also "whose money ran the hospital" kind of covers that.
- Also maybe don't put "more than life-size portrait of a heroic doctor" next to a super-tiny portrait of a doctor.
Djuna leaped out of his kitchen at the shrill br-r-ring of the telephone bell. "For you, Dad Queen."
I really, really want to believe that a Dad Queen is some kind of sex thing. Something men named "Djuna" would be in to. Please don't shatter my illusions, thanks.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]