Title: The Lady Regrets
Author: James M. Fox
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $11
Best things about this cover:
- Unexpected dog attack! I imagine these are actors on a movie set and the dog has *nothing* to do with the picture. Which would explain ... everything.
- The rarely seen Male Fear Hand!
- Her boobs are upset that they have been so dramatically upstaged.
- This cover has done the impossible, which is to offer me bondage and have me barely even notice said bondage. Angry dog trumps all.
- That dog is highly opposed to the copping of feels.
- "Black Room Murder" sounds made-up. If you google it (in quotes) you get several references to this book.
Best things about this back cover:
- Los Angeles!
- Possibly the most satellite-like Mapback I've ever seen. It's just ... lines. I (still) love it.
- "A Grim Game of Find-The-Girl" = awesome description of half of all hard-boiled crime stories.
"So now you know, Jackson," I said, stepping on the cigarette butt to kill it.
If I focus on just this sentence, I can persuasively argue that this book is exceedingly well written.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]