Title: Flying High
Author: Eve Linkletter
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: Not for Sale (gift to the collection from Doug Peterson)
Best things about this cover:
- About the unsexiest naked lady I've ever seen on one of these covers. It's like she rolled around in charcoal. The GIGANTIC smirking floating head isn't making things any sexier.
- She's got a vaguely Bettie Page look, but nothing of Page's charm or allure. First you're gonna have to clean her off. Then give her context. then maybe a slightly less art-school-modely position. Then take a bat to that bloated piñata hovering over her left shoulder.
- That dude's hat is jiffy popping past captain's hat toward chef's toque.
- This is the lowest-rent paperback publisher I've ever seen. I actually don't know what the publisher's name is. GSN??? NT (Nite-Time)??? The publication page says "Fitz Publications." I think it's homemade / Canadian.
Best things about this back cover:
- Yeah, that's how you usually spell "Bob."
- "... a doll who turned out to be one of the boys..." OK, now I'm intrigued.
- Semicolon? Really? Come on. That just hurts.
- Eve Linkletter wrote some queer (in both senses of the word) stuff for Fabian or Saber or one of those cheap Fresno outfits run by Sanford Aday in the late '50s / early '60s. I've never seen her name elsewhere.
The bar was almost deserted except for about nine people.
So ... not deserted at all. Gotcha.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]