Paperback 755: Novel Book 6094 (PBO, 1961)
Title: A New Kind of Orgy
Author: Con Sellers
Cover artist: “posed by professional models”
Yours for: Not for Sale—part of the Doug Peterson Collection
Best things about this cover:
- No more togas and vomitoria—it’s … a new kind of orgy!
- “OK, people, we’re inventing a new orgy here, so … um … First, everyone push your boobs together. OK … that’s … yep, get in there … just … ouch! … OK good … alright, this is pretty hot, right? … Now … let’s see … hey, wait, don’t fall asleep yet, you two!”
- “Feel all strange and squirmy” … Did she drop the pronoun ’cause she’s intoxicated? Or is that a command? “I said ‘Feel strange and squirmy!’ FEEL IT! Don’t make me shake my big, now bared bosom at you!”
OK, now for the really good part: Imagine what the author of a book like “A New Kind of Orgy” might look like. Go ahead, imagine it. I’ll wait … OK, you got a clear image? Well, did it look anything like this? (warning: brace yourselves):
Best things about this back cover:
- Con Sellers, satanic grave-robbing phys ed teacher.
- Con Sellers, alcoholic sweater fetishist.
- Con Sellers, collector of trinkets, smoker of weed.
- Con Sellers, proud holder of service medals, male fiction writing medals, and other shiny things he keeps in his
home dungeon basement.
- “He’s done everything from —” HA ha. Fill in the blank! Even the cover’s like “Yep, whatever crazy-ass shit you can imagine, Con Sellers has Done It.”
- That smile … it stays with you … trust me.
- Count Chocula, retiree.
- I have never not laughed when looking at this picture. Never. Not once.
Mai gave him a smile. “Nothing to nobody—I know that rule, too. I just don’t want you to get hurt, Pio.”
“Me? Get hurt?” His laugh was high and brittle. “That ain’t the way it goes, baby. It’s the other guys that get hurt.”
“How do you think I got my medallion collection, baby? Service to my country? [high and brittle laughter] Oh, Mai, you adorable kid, you. Go fetch me my lounging sweater. And all the weed you can carry.”
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]