Title: Fair Prey
Author: Will Duke [pen name of William Campbell Gault]
Cover artist: Oliver Brabbins
Yours for: $22
Best things about this cover:
- Will duke for food.
- She is sporting some pretty serious shoulder muscle definition.
- It's like fair play. Only it's prey. Get it?
- It's all kind of chaotic. Too crowded, too many things happening. Like some reality show where people compete to see who gets to be the actual cover subject. Dead man is very convincing, but the lady is going full axilla … that's going to be hard to beat. But wait, here comes a cop … with a drifter in his wake, trying to impede him … this is tough to call, Jim.
Best things about this back cover:
- Golf. Huh. Didn't see that coming.
- "Out of my way, baby. That breakfast buffet's calling my name."
- This is some pretty low-grade cover copy. I'm at least vaguely familiar with golf terminology, but … can you be "in" par? Is that a recognizable play on words, or just faux-sensational nonsense?
I remember the gulp and the moisture in my eyes, but I don't remember what I said.
"The Gulp and the Moisture" was, of course, Norman Mailer's far, far less successful follow-up to "The Naked and the Dead."
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]